for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - SS Edmund Fitzgerald: "Queen of the Lakes"
A trivia quiz about the history and sinking of the ill-fated SS Edmund Fitzgerald?
August 04, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: The SS Edmund Fitzgerald on the St. Mary's River in May 1975)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what Great Lake did the Edmund Fitzgerald sink on November 10, 1975?
A. Lake Erie
B. Lake Huron
C. Lake Michigan
D. Lake Superior
2. How many years had the Edmund Fitzgerald been in service before she sank in 1975?
A. more than five years
B. more than ten years
C. more than fifteen years
D. more than twenty years
3. Which of the following was not one of the Edmund Fitzgerald's nicknames?
A. Big Jerry
B. Big Fitz
C. Pride of the American Flag
D. Titanic of the Great Lakes
4. On November 9, 1975, the Edmund Fitzgerald left Superior, Wisconsin headed for Detroit, Michigan. What was she hauling?
C. taconite (iron ore)
5. Who was the captain of the SS Edmund Fitgerald on that fateful day in 1975?
A. Peter Pulcer
B. Ernest M. McSorley
C. Bernie Cooper
D. John H. McCarthy
6. What ship was closely following the Fitzgerald on that fateful day and was the first to report her missing?
A. SS Hilda Marjanne
B. SS Arthur M. Anderson
C. SS William Clay Ford
D. SS Stewart J. Cort
7. There are many theories as to what caused the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. What is the official word of the National Transportation Safety Board?
A. an already weakened structure made it possible for large waves to cause a stress fracture in the hull taking her to the bottom
B. massive flooding of the cargo hold due to the collapse of one or more of the hatch covers under the weight of giant boarding seas
C. she "shoaled" or scraped bottom at Six Fathom Shoal northwest of Caribou Island causing her to take on water and sink
D. gradual flooding of the cargo hold due to ineffective hatch closures took the ship to the bottom
8. How many men perished when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank?
9. Who wrote and performed the 1976 song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"?
A. Gordon Lightfoot
B. John Denver
C. James Taylor
D. Al Stewart
10. The ship's bell was recovered from the wreck on July 4, 1995. A replica engraved with the names of the sailors who lost their lives replaced the original on the wreck. Where is the ship's bell today?
A. Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse City, MI
B. The Valley Camp Museum in Sault Ste. Marie, MI
C. Great Lakes Floating Maritime Museum in Duluth, MN
D. Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point, MI
Conditions of Use