for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster
This quiz is dedicated to the brave travelers who lost their lives on that fateful February day and their families: Rick D. Husband, William C. McCool, Michael P. Anderson, Ilan Ramon, Kalpana Chawla, David M. Brown and Laurel Clark.
January 30, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Space Shuttle Columbia Crew public domain photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Debris from the Space Shuttle Columbia were recovered in what two southern US states?
A. Oklahoma and Texas
B. Louisiana and Missisippi
C. New Mexico and Texas
D. Louisiana and Texas
2. Who was the US President when the Columbia disintegrated on February 1, 2003?
A. President George H.W. Bush
B. President George W. Bush
C. President Barack Obama
D. President Bill Clinton
3. How many Shuttle crew members lost their lives aboard the Columbia?
4. How long was the Shuttle program grounded after the Columbia disaster?
A. 6 months
B. 14 months
C. 18 months
D. 29 months
5. What was the primary cause of the Columbia disaster?
A. failure of rubber O-rings that sealed the joints of the solid rocket boosters
B. breach of the exterior access hatch
C. a piece of foam insulation struck the leading edge of the left wing, damaging the Shuttle's thermal protection system
D. break-up of the fuselage
6. Steve Morse from the band Deep Purple created a song called "Contact Lost" in memory of the Columbia tragedy. What astronaut had an interest in Deep Purple?
A. Mission Specialist Laurel Clark
B. Pilot William C. McCool
C. Commander Rick D. Husband
D. Mission Specialist Kalpana Chawla
7. After the Space Shuttle Program was reinstated, what was the next shuttle to launch?
8. Columbia Payload Specialist Ilan Ramon was the first-ever astronaut from what country?
9. In 2004, President George W. Bush conferred posthumous honors to all of the Shuttle Columbia astronauts. What honor was it?
A. Presidential Medal of Freedom
B. Congressional Space Medals of Honor
C. Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal
D. Distinguished Public Service Medal
10. Where is the The Space Shuttle Columbia Memorial located?
A. Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland
B. Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas
C. Cape Canaveral, Florida
D. Arlington National Cemetary
Pine River Consulting 2022