for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Agatha Christie's Opening Lines
Can you match the book title with the opening lines of the book? -BubblyJolie
April 18, 2007
Agatha Christie's Works
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Agatha Christie)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. "Miss Jane Marple was sitting by her window. The window looked over her garden, once a source of pride to her. That was no longer so." The title of this novel comes from the poem "The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
A. "Sad Cypress"
B. "The Moving Finger"
C. "The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side"
D. "By the Pricking of My Thumbs"
2. "Mrs Ferrars died on the night of the 16th-17th September â€“ a Thursday. I was sent for at eight o'clock on the morning of Friday the 17th. There was nothing to be done. She had been dead some hours." This was Agatha Christie's seventh novel:
A. "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd"
B. "Lord Edgware Dies"
D. "Cards on the Table"
3. "It was close on midnight when a man crossed the Place de la Concorde. In spite of the handsome fur coat which garbed his meagre form, there was something essentially weak and paltry about him." This story involved Hercule Poirot and a train journey:
A. "The Mystery of the Blue Train"
B. "Towards Zero"
C. "Passenger to Frankfurt"
D. "Death on the Orient Express"
4. "It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage". The story is narrated by the Vicar himself. This was the first novel in which Miss Marple is featured:
A. "The Moving Finger:
B. "Murder at the Vicarage"
C. "Sleeping Murder"
D. "The Body in the Library"
5. " 'What can I do to drive away remembrance from mine eyes?' Six people were thinking of Rosemary Barton who had died nearly a year ago â€¦". Agatha Christie originally called this novel "Remembered Death".
A. "Murder in Retrospect"
B. "Elephants Can Remember"
C. "Sparkling Cyanide"
D. "Rosemary for Remembrance"
6. "Mrs Ariadne Oliver has gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening." This novel features both Ariadne Oliver and Hercule Poirot.
A. "Cat Among the Pigeons"
B. "Dead Man's Folly"
C. "Third Girl"
D. "Hallowe'en Party"
7. "Stephen pulled up the collar of his coat as he walked briskly along the platform. Overhead a dim fog clouded the station." This novel is about a murder which takes place on Christmas Eve. It is a particularly violent murder with lots of blood:
A. "Murder for Christmas"
B. "Hercule Poirot's Christmas"
C. "A Holiday for Murder"
D. All three titles are correct â€“ they are the same story
8. "In the afternoons it was the custom of Miss Jane Marple to unfold her second newspaper. Two newspapers were delivered at her house every morning." The theme of this novel is retribution. Miss Marple receives a posthumous request to solve a murder case:
A. "Sleeping Murder"
B. "An Eye for an Eye"
C. "Double Clue"
9. "Mrs Bantry was dreaming. Her sweet peas had just taken a First at the flower show. The vicar, dressed in cassock and surplice, was giving out the prizes in church. His wife wandered past, dressed in a bathing-suitâ€¦". The title of this novel is:
A. "The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side"
B. "The Body in the Library"
C. "Sleeping Murder"
D. "The Thirteen Problems"
10. "Linnet Ridgeway. 'That's HER!' said Mr Barnaby, the landlord of the Three Crowns." Hercule Poirot solves several murders on the S.S. Karnak, including the death of Linnet Ridgeway.
A. "Appointment with Death"
B. "Evil Under the Sun"
C. "Death Comes as the End"
D. "Death on the Nile"
Pine River Consulting 2022