for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Giordano Bruno - "A Martyr of Science"
Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake for challenging the Catholic Church on many of its doctrines involving faith and science. Test your knowledge of this brave Italian for whom truth was paramount.
January 04, 2020
Taken by Registered Users:
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what century did Giordano Bruno live almost all his life?
2. To what profession did Giordano Bruno belong?
3. Which of the following Catholic doctrines did Giordano Bruno not publicly criticize?
A. the divinity of Jesus
B. the Church's refusal to ordain women
C. the virginity of Mary
4. At which famous European university did Giordano Bruno present lectures on his controversial theories?
B. Alma Mater Studiorum Bologna
C. University of Vienna
5. Of which famous scientist was Giordano Bruno a devotee?
B. Tycho Brahe
C. Nicolaus Copernicus
D. Isaac Newton
6. What human trait particularly intrigued Giordano Bruno?
7. Which of the following cosmological theories was not espoused by Giordano Bruno?
A. the Big Bang theory
B. Life could exist on other planets.
C. the infinite nature of the Universe
D. the heliocentric nature of the Solar System
8. Which Pope ordered Giordano Bruno be sentenced as "an impenitent and pertinacious heretic"?
A. Leo VIII
B. Clement VIII
C. Innocent VIII
D. Sylvester VIII
9. Which of the following quotes is not attributable to Giordano Bruno?
A. Nature is none other than God in things.
B. Time is the father of truth, its mother is our mind.
C. Nothing is so good that impious and sacrilegious and wicked people cannot contort its proper benefit into evil.
D. I do not know how to teach philosophy without becoming a disturber of the peace.”
10. Where was a statue of Giordano Bruno erected?
A. The Italian Parliament House
B. Speakers Corner, Hyde Park, London
C. His execution site - Campo de Fiori
D. The Catholic Church has fought all attempts to erect a statue.
Conditions of Use