for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Thomas Malthus - Population Prophet
Thomas Malthus predicted the world will not meet the needs of an ever-increasing population. Test your knowledge of the man whose name has become synonymous with doomsday scenarios.
January 12, 2019
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Thomas Malthus)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Where was Thomas Malthus born in 1766?
B. U S A
2. Before he wrote his treatise on population growth, in what profession did Thomas Malthus engage?
C. violin maker
3. Which of the following was not one of the factors cited by Thomas Malthus that limited population growth?
4. Which of the following classes did Malthus predict would be first affected by increasing population growth?
A. the bourgeoisie
B. the poor
C. the middle class
D. the ruling class
5. What mathematical term did Thomas Malthus apply to population growth?
C. linear progression
6. Thomas Malthus wrote that during times of resource abundance a population could double in how many years?
7. Thomas Malthus advocated "preventive measures" to limit population growth. Which of the following did not come under these measures?
C. later marriage
8. What did Malthus predict would happen when the population of laborers outgrew food production?
A. crime would rise
B. the cost of living would rise
C. mass starvation
9. Which leading economist influenced the thinking of Thomas Malthus?
A. John Stuart Mill
B. David Hume
C. Adam Smith
D. Thomas Hobbes
10. How many children did Thomas Malthus produce before his death in 1834?
Conditions of Use