for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Henry Parkes - Australia's Father of Federation
Henry Parkes (1815 - 1896) was a self-made man whose drive and personality saw him guide the separate states of Australia to become a united nation.
November 26, 2013
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In what country was Henry Parkes born in 1815?
2. What controversial issue of the 1850s did Henry Parkes speak against, thus gaining considerable public standing?
A. Sending troops to the Crimean War
B. Gold licences for miners
C. Female suffrage
D. Continued convict transportation from Britain
3. Henry Parkes pursued many business opportunities. Which of the following was not one of these?
A. newspaper proprietor
B. ivory and bone turner
C. customs officer
D. school teacher
4. What group of people did Henry Parkes alienate with strident speeches?
5. Henry Parkes had to resign from the NSW Parliament in 1858 for what reason?
A. He knowlingly misled parliament.
B. He engaged in duel with a fellow parliamentarian.
C. He was declared bankrupt.
D. It was revealed he had been convicted of larceny as a teenager.
6. How many times was Henry Parkes premier of NSW?
7. Henry Parkes made his definitive speech outlining the need for a federated Australia in what Australian town?
C. Broken Hill
8. Which of the following did Henry Parkes not introduce?
A. Public Hospitals Act
B. Free and compulsory public education
C. Universal male suffrage
D. Eight Hour working day
9. Which of the following was not created in Henry Parkes' honour?
A. The suburb in Canberra where the Australian Parliament is located
B. A town in New South Wales
C. The highway linking Sydney and Canberra
D. A commemorative one dollar coin
10. Which of the following is not true of Henry Parkes' personal life?
A. He was married three times.
B. He fathered 17 children.
C. At the age of 80 he married his 23 year old housekeeper.
D. He was an avowed socialist.
Pine River Consulting 2022