for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Ned Kelly - Folk Hero or Murderer?
Hailed by some as a persecuted nationalist, reviled by others as a police murderer, Ned Kelly has secured a firm place in the Australian psyche. Ten questions on his eventful but short life.
August 13, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. At what age was Ned Kelly first charged with a criminal offence?
2. At the age of 16, Ned Kelly was imprisoned for three years for what crime?
A. sheep stealing
B. robbing a post office
C. receiving a stolen horse
D. public drunkeness and assault
3. In 1878, which member of the Kelly family was gaoled for three years on highly questionable evidence presented by the police in what is known as the Fitzpatrick Incident?
A. Ned's mother, Ellen
B. Ned's sister, Annie
C. Ned's brother Dan
D. Ned's father, Red
4. Following the Fitzgerald Incident, Ned took to the bush with three friends. Which of the following was not one of them?
A. Steve Hart
B. Joe Byrne
C. Aaron Sherritt
D. Dan Kelly
5. In October 1978, Ned and his gang killed three policemen at which now-famous location?
D. Stringybark Creek
6. In February, 1879 Ned Kelly wrote a letter which outlined the treatment of his family and more widely the treatment of Irish Catholics in Australia. What was the name of this letter?
A. The Jerilderie Letter
B. These are my beliefs
C. The Glenrowan Letter
D. Kelly's Credo
7. Following the killing of the three policemen, what did the Kelly gang do?
A. Fled to New South Wales
B. Engaged in a series of bank robberies
C. Set up a small settlement in north-east Victoria
D. Sailed to America
8. Before his final battle with police, what unusual measure did Ned Kelly take?
A. He consulted with a fortune teller
B. He fashioned for himself armour made from iron
C. He married his long-time sweetheart
D. He took confession with a local priest and admitted to killing the three policemen
9. At the Battle of Glenrowan, which of Ned Kelly's gang were killed by police?
A. All except Ned
B. Joe Byrne
C. Dan Kelly
D. Dan Kelly and Steve Hart
10. Ned Kelly was sentenced to hang in November, 1880. What unusual event occurred after his trial?
A. Public reaction caused his sentence to be commuted.
B. There was an attempt to free him by Irish sympathizers.
C. Kelly committed suicide in his cell.
D. The sentencing judge died soon after Kelly's execution.
Conditions of Use