for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Simpson and his donkey - A hero without a gun
The story of a man whose selfless acts embodied the true meaning of the ANZAC legend.
January 03, 2012
World War I
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Public Domain Image of John Simpson & his donkey)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. John Simpson Kirkpatrick was born in 1892 in which part of Great Britain?
D. Northern Ireland
2. In 1910 Simpson arrived in Australia by boat. What were the circumstances of this trip?
A. Simpson, his mother and sister had decided to emigrate.
B. Simpson had joined the Royal Navy and deserted upon arrival in Australia.
C. Simpson was sent to Australia on board a convict ship.
D. Simpson was a stoker on a ship that sailed to Australia.
3. When war was declared in 1914, why did Simpson enlist in the Australian Army?
A. He thought he could get a cheap return trip to England.
B. His mates had joined and Simpson did not want to be left behind.
C. The pay and conditions were better than he was currently receiving.
D. Being British, he believed in the cause of protecting the "mother country".
4. Before being sent to Gallipoli, Simpson trained in Egypt in what role?
D. stretcher bearer
5. Landing at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915, Simpson left his unit to begin rescuing wounded soldiers with a donkey he found. With soldiers from which Allied nation did he initially camp?
A. New Zealand
6. Simpson and his donkey, Duffy, plucked many wounded soldiers from which part of the Gallipoli peninsula?
A. ANZAC Cove
B. Hell Spit
C. Shrapnel Gully
D. Suicide Gorge
7. How long did Simpson survive performing his dangerous role?
A. 24 days
B. 3 months
C. 8 months
D. He was one of the last to be evacuated from Gallipoli.
8. For his outstanding bravery, what medal was Simpson awarded?
A. Victoria Cross
B. Distinguished Conduct Medal
C. George Cross
D. He received no medal
9. John Simpson has been honoured in many ways for his heroic deeds. Which of the following was not one of them?
A. A suburb in Canberra named after him
B. Featured on a 50th anniversary Gallipoli stamp
C. His image on part of the $100 note
D. His image on an Anzac Commemorative Medallion
10. A statue of Simpson and his donkey, Duffy can be seen in which Australian city?
Pine River Consulting 2022