for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - First Attempted Assassination of a President
Richard Lawrence was the first known person to attempt to assassinate an American President.
December 29, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: forgottennewsmakers.com)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Richard Lawrence worked as a painter; it's possible exposure to the chemicals in his paints may caused mental illness. By the early 1830s he was unemployed and had succumbed to the delusion he was whom?
A. a ballerina, light as a feather.
B. Julius Caesar, ruler of the known world.
C. King Richard III of England.
D. an aardvark.
2. What visible changes did Lawrence undergo shortly before his assassination attempt on the US President?
A. His hair fell out and his beard became mangy.
B. He married a parrot, which he carried on his shoulder.
C. He grew 6 inches.
D. He dressed flamboyantly and grew a mustache.
3. What excuse did Lawrence provide for giving up work?
A. The US Government owed him a vast fortune.
B. No one would hire a bald painter.
C. His parrot did not like painting for profit.
D. His new clothing would be spoiled by painting.
4. Which US President did Richard Lawrence target?
A. John Quincy Adams
B. Martin Van Buren
C. Andrew Jackson
D. Benjamin Harrison
5. How did the US President respond to the attack?
A. He fled back into Congress.
B. He fought back with a cane.
C. He hid behind the Secret Service agents until Lawrence was subdued.
D. He did not even notice the attempt.
6. How was the President saved from the assassination attempt?
A. Both of Lawrence's pistols mis-fired.
B. The President was using a bullet proof vest.
C. Lawrence, in his dementia, shot a Congressman in a case of mistaken identity.
D. The President had a speech in his coat which deflected the shots.
7. In the crowd wrestling Lawrence to the ground after the failed murder attempt was a famous American hero and Congressman. Who was it?
A. Daniel Boone
B. Simon Kenton
C. Davy Crockett
D. Jim Bowie
8. What famous song writer and poet was the Prosecuting Attorney during the Lawrence trial?
A. John Phillips Sousa
B. Francis Scott Key
C. Edgar Allen Poe
D. John Quincy Adams
9. What was the verdict of the Lawrence trial, and the punishment?
A. Guilty, death by hanging.
B. Guilty, life imprisonment.
C. Not guilty by reason of insanity; institutionalized.
D. Not guilty by reason of insanity, death by hanging.
10. Who did the President believe was conspiring with Lawrence as part of the assassination attempt?
A. John Q. Adams
B. Martin Van Buren
C. John Calhoun
D. Daniel Webster
Pine River Consulting 2022