for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Alan Shepard, Jr - American Astronaut and Naval Aviator
Take this trivia quiz to find out what you know about the life, career and accomplishments of Alan Shepard, Jr, an American naval aviator, test pilot, flag officer, and NASA astronaut.
November 12, 2011
Amazing "Firsts" in History!
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Alan B Shepard Jr.
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Alan Shepard Jr.)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Alan Shepard has some family ancestry that has significance in American history; what is the significance?
A. His father dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
B. He is a descendant of Benedict Arnold.
C. He is a descendant of a Mayflower passenger.
D. His is a descendant of Abraham Lincoln
2. Alan Shepard graduated from the US Naval Academy in Annapolis in 1944; what was his first duty assignment?
A. Staff Officer to General Eisenhower, London England
B. Submarine School, New London, CT
C. USS Cogswell, US Pacific Fleet
D. USS Yorktown, US Pacific Fleet
3. As a Naval Pilot, Shepard was involved in all of the below, except:
A. Naval Representative in the Court martial of Billy Mitchell.
B. Tests of the Navy's in-flight refueling system.
C. Flight testing the F2H-3 Banshee, F3H Demon, F8U Crusader, F4D Skyray, and F11F Tiger, and F5D Skylancer
D. Operations Officer of a night fighter unit flying Banshee jets.
4. What was the name of the project Alan Shepard joined with NASA in the late 1950s?
B. X-15 rocket plane
5. What was the craft that Shepard piloted, making him the first US Astronaut sent into space?
A. Liberty Bell 7
B. Mercury-Redstone 1
C. Molly Brown
D. Freedom 7
6. Later in life, Shepard admitted his statement immediately prior to the space launch; the quote has since become known among aviators as "Shepard's Prayer." What did Shepard tell himself?
A. "Show time, Shepard . . . "
B. "Don't f*k up, Shepard . . . "
C. "Here's looking at ya, Ivan . . . "
D. "I feel the need, the need for speed . . . "
7. Reporters asked Shepard what he was thinking about when he awaited lift-off, his response was . . .
A. he was glad to be flying ahead of Glenn (Navy first, Marines second).
B. every part of this ship was built by the low bidder.
C. he shouldn't have had that third cup of coffee with his breakfast.
D. how proud he was to be a Naval Aviator and American.
8. Shepard was disqualified from flight status in 1963, and most of the remainder of the 1960s. Why?
A. Arrests for Driving Under the Influence (twice).
B. He couldn't get along with his co-pilots.
C. He had an illness affecting his ears.
D. He put on too much weight to fit into the capsules.
9. Shepard was selected to command Apollo 13; why did he end up commanding Apollo 14 instead?
A. Shepard shifted to Apollo 14 for more preparation time.
B. Lovell's wife was pregnant, and he wanted to be at home for the birth.
C. Shepard had a sprained ankle, and had to heal before he could fly.
D. Shepard was superstitous, and did not want to fly "13."
10. How old was Shepard when Apollo 14 landed on the moon?
Conditions of Use