for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Clarence Darrow - Lawyer for the Underdog
Clarence Darrow acted in some of America's most celebrated trials in the 1920s and 1930s. Test your knowledge of this legendary criminal lawyer.
August 25, 2017
Crime & Law
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Clarence S Darrow
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Born in April, 1857 Clarence Darrow experienced what sort of childhood?
A. working in Pennsylvanian mines with his father
B. a hard Ohio farm life
C. son of a Chicago lawyer
D. raised in a New York orphanage
2. Clarence Darrow settled into the law early and became a lawyer for which organization?
B. Standard Oil
C. Chicago and Northern Railway
D. Family Planning of America
3. In 1924 Clarence Darrow defended the murderers Leopold and Loeb, helping them escape the death penalty. For how many days did he address the judge who was the sole arbiter in this trial?
A. one day
B. three days
C. five days
D. eight days
4. In 1925 Clarence Darrow defended Tennessee teacher, John T. Scopes in a case that was known as what?
A. The Evolution Trial
B. The Creation Trial
C. The Orangutan Trial
D. The Monkey Trial
5. Clarence Darrow successfully defended Henry Sweet in 1925 and achieved what legal ruling?
A. An African American had the right to equal wages
B. An African American was able to cross state boundaries without police approval
C. An African American had the right to defend his or her home
D. An African American was a citizen of the United States
6. Clarence Darrow's last famous trial was the Massie Revenge Killing in 1932. Where was the trial held?
B. American Samoa
C. Costa Rica
7. In the John Scopes trial, Darrow was opposed by William Jennings Bryan who was part of what organization of which Darrow was also a member?
A. Republican Party
B. Democratic Party
C. Catholic Church
8. With which famous author did Clarence Darrow debate the topic "Will the world return to religion?"
A. W. H. Auden
B. T. S. Eliot
C. C. S. Lewis
D. G. K. Chesterton
9. Which of the following was not a belief of Clarence Darrow?
A. free love
C. Prohibition of alcohol
D. votes for women
10. What monument in Chicago was named after Clarence Darrow?
C. a bar frequented by lawyers
Pine River Consulting 2022