for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Martha Jefferson Randolph
Thomas Jefferson was the first widower to become U S President so his daughter, Martha took on the part-time role expected of the First Lady.
February 23, 2020
Presidential First Ladies
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: encyclopediavirginia.org)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Born on September 27, 1772, Martha Jefferson was given what affectionate nickname by her father that he used all his life?
2. Thomas Jefferson provided private tutoring for young Martha in America but in what country did Martha first attend a school?
3. Martha married Thomas Mann Randolph, Jr on February 23, 1790. How many children did they have?
4. What significant first did Martha Jefferson Randolph achieve while her father was in the White House?
A. She was the first to give birth in the White House.
B. She hosted the first official dinner for a visiting head of state.
C. She gave the Oval Office its name.
D. She instituted the first of many interior renovations of the private living quarters.
5. Martha Jefferson Randolph became estranged from her husband for what reason?
A. He went to live in England.
B. His drinking and subsequent mental illness
C. His stance on slave ownership
D. He left to begin a polygamous relationship in Utah.
6. During Thomas Jefferson's eight year term as President, how many lengthy stays did Martha spend at the White House?
D. She never left the White House
7. What desire of Martha Jefferson Randolph horrified her father?
A. She wanted to begin a women's suffrage movement.
B. She wanted to be a journalist.
C. She wanted to become a nun.
D. She wanted to free her father's slaves.
8. Which of the following is not true of Martha Jefferson Randolph's dealing with slaves?
A. She detested the unjust treatment of blacks.
B. She sold some of her father's slaves.
C. She supported her son, Thomas in his attempt to have slavery ended in Virginia.
D. She moved to Delaware as it was a free slave state.
9. Following the death of her father, what did Martha Jefferson Randolph do with her father's home, Monticello?
A. She opened it to visitors in attempt to pay her father's debts.
B. She lived there until her death
C. She sold it.
D. She erected a shrine to her father.
10. One of Martha's sons, George Wythe Randolph, held what position during the U S Civil War?
A. Advisor to Abraham Lincoln
B. General in the Confederate Army
C. One of General Grant's security cordon
D. Confederate States Secretary of War
Conditions of Use