for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - T. S. Eliot - Poet and Dramatist
Thoams Stearns Eliot used his poetry to plumb the many emotions of living in the 20th century along with many historical plays. Test your knowledge of this enigmatic writer.
August 24, 2016
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Where was T. S. Eliot born in 1888?
B. New Zealand
C. U S A
2. After immigrating to England, Eliot became friends with and a devotee of which writer?
A. Ezra Pound
B. W. B. Yeats
C. Ernest Hemingway
D. Gertrude Stein
3. In 1915 Eliot married Vivienne Haigh-Wood. What was the result of this union?
A. Vivienne divorced Eliot on the grounds the marriage was never consummated.
B. They were separated due to Vivienne's incarceration due to mental illness.
C. They enjoyed a happy marriage with Vivinne outliving Eliot by 13 years.
D. They led separate lives, engaging in many affairs but never divorcing.
4. Which of the following quotes was not made by T. S. Eliot?
A. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
B. I said to my soul, be still, and wait without hope, For hope would be hope for the wrong thing.
C. This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper.
D. A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him.
5. Which of the following is not true of T. S. Eliot?
A. He was socially conservative.
B. He declined a knighthood.
C. He was married twice.
D. He suffered a nervous breakdown.
6. Which musical was based on the writing of T. S. Eliot?
A. The Phantom of the Opera
B. A Chorus Line
D. Les Miserables
7. T. S. Eliot's "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" had what as its major theme?
A. the futility of trying; we are the playthings of the gods
B. the battle between optimism and pessimism
C. the need for every person to better him or herself
D. the frustration and alienation of modern man
8. T. S. Eliot's work "Murder in the Cathedral" is about the murder of which character?
A. Thomas Beckett
B. Thomas More
C. Wat Tyler
D. Mary Queen of Scots
9. What prestigious honor was awarded T. S. Eliot?
A. Pulitzer Prize
B. Poet Laureate
C. Nobel Prize
D. Editorship of The Times
10. Which of the following was not written by T. S. Eliot?
A. The Hollow Men
B. The Waste Land
C. Ash Wednesday
D. Funeral Blues
Pine River Consulting 2022