for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Canute - King of England
He is wrongly known for trying to turn back the tide but King Canute had many more qualities. Test your knowledge of this famous English king.
June 06, 2014
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Although he became king of England, where was Canute born in 995?
2. Becoming king at the age of 19, Canute had to fight which English challenger to keep the throne?
A. Richard Longshanks
B. Simon Oakmont
C. Edmund Ironside
D. Henry Stonemoor
3. What was one of the first things Canute did upon becoming king of England?
A. Ditched his current wife and married the wife of the defeated king.
B. Performed a census and then imposed a poll tax
C. Had his image installed in all English churches
D. Made plans to attack France
4. What did King Canute give to England?
A. A modern navy
B. A charter of liberties
C. A reformed church
D. The Royal Mint
5. Legend has it that Canute challenged the sea not to wet his feet. Why did he do this?
A. To prove his regal dominance
B. To test his power of prophesy
C. To amuse his courtiers
D. To show he was powerless even as king
6. What special protection did Canute provide for the people of England?
A. He brokered a peace treay with France.
B. He stopped Viking raids.
C. He devised the idea of building a wall that was later finished by Hadrian.
D. He ensured the English army was the best equipped in Europe.
7. What country did Canute conquer in 1031?
8. As king of England, Canute worked hard to improve relations with which group?
B. Feudal barons
9. Which of the following countries also were placed under Canute's reign?
A. Netherlands and France
B. Spain and Portugal
C. Belgium and Latvia
D. Denmark and Norway
10. Canute died in 1035 at the age of 40 after reigning 19 years. Who succeeded him?
A. Alfred the Great
B. Harold I
C. William I
D. Edward the Confessor
Conditions of Use