for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - William Tyndale -The Father of the English Bible
A quiz on the man whose effort gave the first printed version of the Bible to the English people in their language, and the trouble it caused him.
April 18, 2013
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. William Tyndale began his working life in what profession?
2. What ability did William Tyndale possess that well-suited him to his task?
A. He was fluent in seven languages
B. He was a trained librarian
C. He was able to write simultaneously with both hands
D. He had a phenomenal memory
3. From what language did Tyndale translate the Bible into English?
4. Because of the controversy created, William Tyndale fled England in 1524 to which country?
5. In 1535 William Tyndale was betrayed to Belgian forces by which man he thought was a friend?
A. Henry Phillips
B. Richard Morecroft
C. Herbert Powers
D. Steven Cooper
6. What did the then Archbishop of Canterbury do in attempt to stem the flood of Tyndale's English Bibles?
A. He used them as fuel to burn heretics.
B. He bought copies to eventually have them destroyed.
C. He ordered all incoming ships to be searched thus inadvertently beginning the English Customs Service.
D. He promised eternal damnation for anyone who read Tyndale's version..
7. William Tyndale was garrotted and burned at the stake in 1536 in Belgium. His last words were, "Lord, open the King of England's eyes." To which king was he referring?
A. James I
B. Henry VII
C. James II
D. Henry VIII
8. Which noted English religious figure of the time called Tyndale's version of the Bible a "testament of his master Antichrist?"
A. Thomas More
B. Cardinal Wolsley
C. Thomas Cromwell
D. Thomas Cranmer
9. Which of the following well-known phrases did not originate from Tyndale's translation?
A. I will wear my heart upon my sleeve.
B. My brother's keeper
C. Gave up the ghost
D. The salt of the earth
10. The King James Version of the Bible on which most modern Bibles are based, retained how much of Tyndale's version in its translation?
Conditions of Use