for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Aung San Suu Kyi - Burmese Heroine
A quiz on a woman whose defiant stand has been an example to all. She was torn between the love of her husband and the love of her country.
January 01, 2013
Taken by Registered Users:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Aung San Suu Kyi was born in Burma in 1945. Her father was famous for what achievement?
A. He was opposition leader against the military dictatorship.
B. He promoted the "Green Revolution" which transformed agriculture in Burma.
C. He led the liberating Burmese forces against the Japanese in World War II.
D. He was responsible for bringing Buddhism back to Burma.
2. In 1966 Suu studied philosophy, politics and economics at which famous university?
3. What was the name of Suu's husband, who met her while at university?
A. Benjamin Kingsbury
B. David Staunton
C. Christopher Jacobsen
D. Michael Aris
4. In 1971, Suu travelled to America to take up what position?
A. As an adviser to the World Health Organization
B. Working with the UN Secretariat in New York
C. As a merchant banker with Barclays Bank
D. Directing Burmese opposition parties
5. Suu and her husband were married in 1972. How many years were they together before she returned to Burma?
6. Why did Aung San Suu Kyi return to Burma, leaving behind her husband?
A. She was urged by the underground opposition to assume the mantle of her father.
B. She was asked by the UN Secretary General to supervise free elections.
C. There was a massacre of peaceful protestors in Rangoon.
D. Her mother had suffered a severe stroke.
7. The Burmese election of 1990 produced many surprising results. Which of the following was not one of them?
A. Suu was kept under house arrest.
B. The military government ignored the results.
C. UN monitors were also detained.
D. Her National League for Democracy Party won in a landslide.
8. How many times was Aung San Suu Kyi's husband allowed to visit her while in detention in Burma?
9. In 1991, Aung San Suu Kyi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. How did she use the prize money?
A. She donated the money to the NLD campaign.
B. She established a health and education trust for the Burmese people.
C. She refused to accept the money saying until democracy was achieved in Burma she had failed.
D. She enlisted the aid of a US public relations firm to publicize the plight of Burmese.
10. Aung San Suu Kyi's husband died in England from prostate cancer in 1997. Which of the following is not true about the events related to his death?
A. The regime agreed to fly Suu to Britain they day before her husband died.
B. Her two sons begged her to come to England.
C. Suu marked her husband's death with a Buddhist ceremony at her home in Rangoon.
D. The United Nations offered to fly her husband to Burma.
Pine River Consulting 2022