for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Samuel Johnson - Man of Letters
A quiz on Dr Johnson whose scholarly approach standardized the English language.
April 15, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Samuel Johnson Public Domain Image)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In which century did Dr Johnson live?
2. In what field did Samuel Johnson receive his doctorate?
3. What was Dr Johnson's early career choice?
4. What was the age difference between Dr Johnson and his wife, Elizabeth?
A. She was 10 years his junior
B. He was 10 years her junior
C. She was 20 years his junior
D. He was 20 years her junior
5. Who was the celebrated biographer of much of Dr Johnson's life?
A. David Garrick
B. John Hawkins
C. James Boswell
D. Oliver Goldsmith
6. How long did it take Dr Johnson to write his famous dictionary?
A. one year
B. five years
C. nine years
D. fifteen years
7. Dr Johnson loved nothing more than to be in the collegial company of friends. What was his select group known as?
A. The Round Table
B. The Club
C. The Circle
D. The Group
8. For what crime was Dr Johnson arrested?
C. public drunkeness
9. Of which writer's works did Dr Johnson publish a revised and critical edition?
10. With what affliction has Dr Johnson been posthumously diagnosed?
A. Asperger's syndrome
D. Tourette's syndrome
Conditions of Use
Website owned and operated by