for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Samuel Colt: Weapons Innovator
Samuel Colt, American inventor and industrialist.
January 15, 2012
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Samuel Colt public domain image)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. What product was Samuel Colt hawking when he launched his "celebrated career as a pioneer Madison Avenue-style pitchman"?
A. Laughing gas.
B. A repeating rifle.
C. Midget horses.
2. When he was sailing, Colt saw a piece of machinery that gave him an idea for his later pistols. What was the machine?
A. The rotating sails.
B. The propellers.
C. The ship's steering wheel.
D. The turbine engines.
3. Colt's two first firearms were made to test his theory for a revolver. Who financed the prototypes?
A. His mother
B. His father
C. Brown's Ferry Musket Company
D. William Winchester
4. When Colt's prototype pistol and rifle were tested, what were the results?
A. The rifle and pistol both worked well.
B. The rifle exploded and the pistol worked well.
C. The rifle worked well, the pistol exploded.
D. Both the rifle and the pistol exploded.
5. Where did Colt first patent his revolving pistol?
6. What was Colt's main contribution to the firearm industry?
A. inventing the revolver.
B. instituting an assembly line manufacturing process.
C. inventing percussion caps, replacing flints for a source of ignition.
D. paying his workers a living wage.
7. By the end of 1837, Colt and the Paterson Arms Company had produced more than 1,000 weapons. How many were sold?
B. 500 to the US Navy.
C. 500 to the US Army.
D. All of them - to Russia.
8. How did Colt feel about wooing potential purchasers?
A. He felt the revolver's merit should be self-evident
B. He felt drunken clients would buy more revolvers
C. He believed in the hard sale - at times yelling at potential clients
D. Colt was a lay minister, and felt only the truth should be told
9. What legendary Ranger put Colt on the road to selling his revolvers by arming his men with Colt revolvers?
A. Doc Holiday
B. Wyatt Earp
C. Desmond Ortanga
D. Samuel Walker
10. What side did Colt take during the US Civil War?
C. Neither - he was willing to sell guns to either or both sides
D. Neither; he moved to London, England to avoid the war
Conditions of Use