for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Lachlan Macquarie - "The Father of Australia"
A quiz on the Governor of New South Wales who turned a prison colony into a growing settlement. His tombstone bears the inscription "Father of Australia".
September 09, 2011
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Lachlan Macquarie Public Domain Photo)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. In which country of the British Isles was Lachlan Macquarie born in 1762?
2. In which military campaign did Lachlan Macquarie serve?
A. American War of Independence
B. Indian Mutiny
C. Crimean War
D. War of Quebec
3. Lachlan Macquarie was appointed Governor of New South Wales in 1809. He was the first governor from which branch of the services?
C. Coldstream Guards
4. Which Australian city did Macquarie radically redesign?
5. What name was given to ex-convicts Lachlan Macquarie encouraged to return to free society.
A. free men
B. new citizens
6. Lachlan Macquarie gave convicts who were well-behaved paroles to re-enter normal life. What were these paroles called?
A. tickets of leave
B. redemption tickets
C. pardon passes
D. freedom passes
7. Lachlan Macquarie created which "first" in the colony of New South Wales?
A. stock exchange
B. Parliament House
D. police force
8. Lachlan Macquarie's grand plans for the city of Sydney were extensively criticized by which English bureaucrat?
A. John Macarthur
B. Willliam Bligh
C. John Bigge
D. Francis Greenway
9. As part of his return to his birthplace in 1821, which favourite animal did Lachlan Macquarie have shipped back to be with his family?
10. Which Australian landmark was not named after Lachlan Macquarie?
Pine River Consulting 2022