for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Galileo Galilei: The Father of Modern Science
Some easy, some tough questions about the Father of Modern Science. I'm mad about science!
December 14, 2009
Science & Nature
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. From what Italian university did Galileo graduate?
A. University of Florence
B. University of Rome La Sapienza
C. University of Padua
D. University of Pisa
2. Galileo was credited with making major improvements to what astronomical instrument?
3. Galileo discovered four of the largest satellites (moons) of what planet?
4. In 1633, Galileo was convicted of heresy by the Catholic Church for his belief in a heliocentric, or Sun-centered universe. What astronomer originally championed heleocentricity?
A. Giovanni Antonio Magini
B. Nicolaus Copernicus
C. Aloysius Lilius
D. Francesco Fontana
5. Galileo was the first scientist to discover what about the Earth's moon?
A. that it revolved around the Earth
B. that it was not smooth but mountainous and pitted
C. that it was 384,403 kilometers from Earth
D. that it had phases
6. Galileo discovered the phases of what planet?
7. What modern scientist said of Galileo, "Galileo, perhaps more than any other single person, was responsible for the birth of modern science"?
A. Brandon Carter
B. Dennis William Sciama
C. Roger Penrose
D. Stephen Hawking
8. 2009 was observed as the Internation Year of Astronomy. In recognition of this, Galileo was selected as the main motif for what?
A. €25 Commemorative Coin
B. Commemorative Plaque
C. Commemorative Stamp
D. Commemorative Statue
9. In 1995, the Galileo spacecraft was the first of its kind to enter the orbit of what planet?
10. Galileo is mentioned several times in the "opera" section of a famous song by the rock band, Queen. What is the name of the song?
A. Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...)
B. You're My Best Friend
C. Fat Bottom Girls
D. Bohemian Rhapsody
Conditions of Use