for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Franklin Pierce: 14th U.S. President
What do you know about the life of 14th US President Franklin Pierce?
May 10, 2009
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Franklin Pierce @ Wikipedia)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Franklin Pierce was a graduate of what small New England academic institution?
A. Amherst College
B. Hamilton College
C. Colby College
D. Bowdoin College
2. Franklin Pierce was a lifetime personal friend of what famous American author?
A. William Cullen Bryant
B. Washington Irving
C. Nathaniel Hawthorne
D. Mark Twain
3. Franklin Pierce served as U.S. Senator from 1837-1842 representing what state?
B. New Hampshire
D. Rhode Island
4. Franklin and his wife Jane had three sons, none of which lived to adulthood. What type of accident took the life of their youngest son Benjamin at age 11?
A. horseback riding accident
C. stagecoach accident
D. train accident
5. What opponent, from the Whig Party, did Franklin Pierce defeat in the American Presidential election of 1852?
A. Winfield Scott
B. Edward Everett
C. Millard Fillmore
D. John Tyler
6. President Pierce's popularity in the North declined sharply after he came out in favor of the Kansas-Nebraska Act. What legislation did this act invoke?
A. allowed the territories of Kansas and Nebraska to make their own decisions about slavery virtually repealing the Missouri Compromise
B. allowed the territories of Kansas and Nebraska to become states without the proper votes in Congress
C. disallowed homesteading in the territories of Kansas and Nebraska
D. created legislation removing all Native Americans from the territories of Kansas and Nebraska
7. Pierce's credibility was damaged when several of his diplomats issued the Ostend Manifesto. Written in 1854 by U.S. diplomats at Ostend, Belgium, this document outlined a plan to acquire what land/country?
8. After news spread about the murder of President Abraham Lincoln in April of 1865, Franklin Pierce's home in Concord, NH was surrounded by an angry mob of locals. Why were they outraged?
A. Pierce was a cousin to Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth
B. they felt that he was involved in the conspiracy to assassinate Lincoln
C. they felt that the former president hadn't sufficiently condemned the assassination
D. all of the above
9. From what disease did Franklin Pierce die in 1869?
C. cirrhosis of the liver
D. heart disease
10. BONUS! What former first lady was a distant cousin to President Franklin Pierce?
A. Barbara Bush
B. Hillary Clinton
C. Laura Bush
D. Nancy Reagan
Conditions of Use