for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - James Knox Polk: 11th US President
All about the 11th President of the United States, James K. Polk. Greatly underestimated, many scholars rank him in the top 10 of greatest US presidents.
February 28, 2009
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
James K Polk
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: James K. Polk @ whitehouse.gov)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. James K. Polk was born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, but mostly lived in and represented what state?
C. South Carolina
2. Which of the following early 18th century US politicians did Polk support?
A. Andrew Jackson
B. John Quincy Adams
C. Henry Clay
D. William H. Crawford
3. James Polk was a lawyer. What was his first case?
A. defended grandfather against a public drunkeness charge
B. defended his father against a public fighting charge
C. defended his neighbor against a theft charge
D. defended his brother against an embezzling charge
4. What was Polk's first office as a public servant?
A. chief clerk of the Senate of Tennessee
B. Speaker of the House
C. Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Tennessee's 9th district
D. Governor of Tennessee
5. Who did Polk defeat in the 1844 election for President of the United States?
A. William H. Crawford
B. Franklin Pierce
C. Henry Clay
D. John Quincy Adams
6. In 1848, Polk resolved a boundary dispute with Britian, establishing the United States as the sole owner of what territory?
B. New Mexico
7. In 1848, under the direction of President Polk, the US negotiated a peace treaty with Mexico to end the Mexican-American War. What was it called?
A. Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
B. Treaty of Cahuenga
C. Treaties of Velasco
D. Treaty of El Paso
8. Which of the following states was NOT admitted to the union during Polk's administration?
9. One of Polk's last acts as President was to sign the bill creating what new United States federal executive department?
A. Department of Labor
B. Department of Commerce
C. Department of the Interior
D. Department of Agriculture
10. After his first term, Polk was the first president to do what?
A. run for re-election as president as a member of a different party
B. retire after a single term without seeking re-election
C. serve as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
D. serve as a member of the US Senate
Conditions of Use