for extra features!
Science & Nature Trivia
TV, Radio & Stage Trivia
Trivia Quiz - Thomas Edison: American Inventor
Thomas Edison was a great American inventor and businessman who developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world. Interesting facts on the life, career and inventions of Thomas Edison!
October 29, 2008
Taken by Registered Users:
Quiz is about:
Thomas A Edison
for the code snippet to embed this quiz in your website.
(Image Source: Thomas Edison @ Wikipedia)
Be sure to
before taking quizzes to have your scores saved.
1. Most of Thomas Edison's inventions contributed to what area of technology?
B. telegraphy and telephony
C. phonographs and sound recording
D. electric light and power
2. What was Thomas Edison's first patent?
A. electric vote recorder
B. printing telegraph
C. stock ticker
D. automatic telegraph
3. Thomas Edison founded 14 companies in his life, one of which is still in existence today and is one of the largest publicly traded companies in the world. What is the name of the company?
A. General Electric
4. In 1877, Edison invented the first phonograph prototype. What substance was wrapped around the phonograph's grooved cylinder to produce the sound?
A. steel foil
B. copper foil
C. tin foil
D. bronze foil
5. The establishment of mass-production electric systems in homes and businesses in the late 1800s brought about contention between Edison and his rival over the usability of alternating current (AC) versus direct current (DC). Who was Edison's rival?
A. Philip Diehl
B. George Westinghouse
C. Henry Woodward
D. Joseph Swan
6. Edison is credited with designing and producing the first commercially available fluoroscope. This device later became commonly known as what?
A. movie camera
C. electron microscope
7. What was Thomas Edison's last patent?
A. electroplating apparatus
B. holder for article to be electroplated
C. dynamo-electric machine
D. apparatus for producing storage-battery electrode elements
8. Which one of Thomas Edison's sons took over the company upon his father's death and was later elected Governor of New Jersey?
A. Thomas Alva Edison, Jr.
B. William Leslie Edison
C. Charles Edison
D. Theodore Miller Edison
9. Which of the following Edison museums is maintained and operated by the National Park Service as a National Historic Site?
A. Edison's Glenmont Estate in West Orange, NJ
B. Edison's Seminole Lodge in Fort Myers, FL
C. Thomas Edison Depot Museum in Port Huron, MI
D. Thomas Alva Edison Memorial Tower and Museum in Edison, NJ
10. In 1983, the United States Congress, pursuant to Senate Joint Resolution 140 (Public Law 97 - 198), designated February 11, Edison's birthday, as what?
A. Edison Day
B. National Ingenuity Day
C. National Inventor's Day
D. American Innovation Day
Conditions of Use